Homecoming is not just for students and alumni. Faculty and staff can get in on the fun with a number of events. “Homecoming 101: Intro to Rocky Top” activities begin Sunday, October 29, and continue through Saturday, November 4, when UT takes on the University of Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles.
Check out these ways to get involved in this year’s festivities:
- Be in the Parade. This is the event that started it all back in 1916. All UT offices and organizations are invited to walk in the Homecoming parade on Friday, November 3. For the first time in 30 years, the route returns to Cumberland Avenue. The university’s Homecoming Committee has teamed up with the Cumberland Avenue Merchants Association and the City of Knoxville for the parade and a post-parade celebration. Register by 5 p.m. Wednesday for your office or organization to walk in the parade. Check in begins at 2:30 and lineup begins at 3 p.m.
- Decorate Your Offices. In its third year, the office-decorating contest is a fun way for staff to take part in Homecoming week. Student judges will walk through buildings on Tuesday, October 31, and the winning office will be announced at halftime during the football game. Register online by 5 p.m. Wednesday.
- Get moving for the 5K Glow Run and Party. Bring your friends, family, and colleagues to kick off the week by running or walking the 3.1-mile route from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Sunday, October 29. Participants receive a glow-in-the-dark shirt. Registration is $5; sign up by 5 p.m. Friday.
- Sign up to be included in Smokey’s Search. If you would like students to know more about the services you provide and your location on campus, sign up to be a location in the scavenger hunt event, Smokey’s Search. On Wednesday our beloved mascot Smokey will need help finding information and resources all over campus. Students can earn prizes by helping Smokey find what he’s looking for throughout the day. Email email@example.com to sign up.
- Be a volunteer. Sign up to serve as a volunteer or help by judging student organization competitions.
- Donate a gift card for children in need. The Student Homecoming Committee is collecting gift cards of any denomination to large retail stores to benefit local schoolchildren in need. Learn more and get locations to drop off cards.
A complete list of events is available at homecoming.utk.edu.