Ovi Kabir, a junior in political science with a concentration in pre-law, grew up in Jellico, Tennessee, then later moved to Oak Ridge, so East Tennessee has always been home for him. During his first year on campus, he was involved with many different organizations including SGA, Clement Hall Residence Association, and Tennessee crew.  This year he has dialed it back to focus on community service around Knoxville and to serve as the president of Tennessee Crew.

What makes you unique?

I wear Crocs, so I feel from just that I am put in a small group of people, making me unique. But I think what makes me unique is my background and the experiences I have had in my life that have made me who I am today. I am first generation American in my family, both my parents were born in Bangladesh and later relocated to the United States. Having that cultural background from my family but also growing up in America has definitely given me unique outlook on issues.

What tips do you have for your fellow students?

If I had to give any tips to my fellow students, and as cliche as it sounds; it would be that make sure to get out of your comfort zone and try things you necessarily would not. If you’re a Republican, attend the College of Democrats organization on campus and vice versa. If you’ve never played a sport, get a group of people to make a rec league. Do anything that makes you push your perspective and you might make new friends or broaden your horizons, because college is the perfect place for that

What does the “Volunteer spirit” mean to you?

The Volunteer spirit means that you encourage Vols and people all around you to push themselves, help them when they’re down, and do what you can to better the campus. Regardless if our football/basketball/volleyball/etc. team is down by 10-30 points; you keep cheering hard for them. When someone sends you an email from class asking for notes that they missed, you try helping them out. Volunteer Spirit is about uplifting the school, students, and community in my honest opinion.

What are some of your favorite spots on campus?

One of my biggest passions in life is food. So if I had to pick a favorite spot on campus, it definitely has to be food related. While it’s technically not on campus; I consider it to be part of it since it’s so close and integral to UT would have to be Gus’ Good Times Deli on the strip. I can’t count the memories I have made in that Deli, and the food is fantastic (Tastes even better at 2:00 am).