Tyger (left) at her first event as a graduate assistant at UT.

If you have attended events like Volapalooza or Homecoming, you can thank Tyger Glauser and her team of students for their work in making them memorable. Tyger is the assistant director in the Center for Student Engagement and yes, that is her real first name.

Tell us a little about yourself.

I was born and raised in Maumee, Ohio. I have a bachelor’s degree from Bowling Green State University and a master’s degree from UT. I then worked at Coastal Carolina University before returning to UT. In my free time, I serve as chapter counselor for Beta Theta Pi fraternity, membership co-chair of Young Professionals of Knoxville, and chairperson for the 2017 National Association for Campus Activities South Regional Conference. I also volunteer at festivals!

Tyger with the incoming and outgoing Volapalooza executive board

What makes you unique?

First of all: Yes, that is my real name. I get that a lot! I’m also left handed and have freckles. In all seriousness though, I was raised by a single mother and my grandparents. I worked hard to make it through college on my own. I was the first person in my family to earn a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree. I am honored to work with college students and help them along their path to graduation because my education is so important to me and I want to help others succeed.

What tips do you have for students?

Get involved! Your college experience will be so much more fulfilling if you step out of your comfort zone and join an organization or find a new hobby. There are plenty of ways to get connected on campus, so find your niche. Make new friends who have different viewpoints. College is all about learning both in and out of the classroom. Attend events. Go to class. Check your email. Study abroad. Pick a new building to explore. Travel. Go to Volapalooza. Explore downtown Knoxville. Have fun!

Tyger backstage at Volapalooza

What are some of your favorite spots on campus?

I work in Dunford Hall, so that is pretty much my second home. I spend a lot of time in Cox Auditorium in Alumni Memorial Building for our events as well. I also love to walk down Pedestrian Walkway on a busy school day to see the campus buzzing, especially when organizations are out there tabling or handing out free food!

Want to nominate someone to be featured in an upcoming “Meet Our Volunteer Family” spotlight? Nominate them here.