Five students are spending the summer working in Tennessee congressional offices as part of UT’s Congressional Internship program.
UT students have interned with House members and senators from Tennessee in Washington, DC, since 2010 as part of this program. Due to high demand, internships are now offered year round.
Here is the summer class of interns:
- Jalen Blue of Brentwood, Tennessee, is a spring graduate of the Haslam College of Business, where he majored in public administration. Blue has extensive experience in leadership: he served on the UT Board of Trustees as a student trustee and was named a Torchbearer, the highest award given to a UT student. He is working on education issues for the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, which is chaired by Sen. Lamar Alexander.
- Sean “Clay” Brewer of Gallatin, Tennessee is a spring graduate in honors political science and Russian studies with experience working as an intern for Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett. He is currently working with Rep. Diane Black and will work with Sen. Bob Corker in the second half of the summer.
- Sean Francis of Powell, Tennessee, is a master’s candidate in public policy and administration who received his bachelor’s degree in political science from Pennsylvania State University and has experience working for the National Security Agency, the US Attorney’s Office, and Rep. Martin Daniel. He is working for the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.
- Miranda Gottlieb, from New Mexico, is a spring graduate in honors political science and Hispanic studies who has experience in policy and advocacy. She is working for Rep. Steve Cohen.
- Alex Swisher of Goodlettsville, Tennessee, is a junior with a double major in political science and journalism and electronic media with campaign experience. She is interning with Rep. Marsha Blackburn for the first half of the summer and will work for Rep. Diane Black in the second half of the summer.
Catherine Willis (865-974-2125, email@example.com)
Amy Blakely (865-974-5034, firstname.lastname@example.org)