The UT Knoxville Leadership Program provides participants an opportunity to learn about best practices in leadership while enhancing their understanding of the mission and function of the various units on campus. The objectives of the program include building participants’ self-awareness and strengthening their unique leadership capabilities; familiarizing them with the overall structure and function of higher education administration; and increasing the success rates of those who move into leadership roles at the university.
The program began with a three-day retreat in May, where participants discussed developing an authentic leadership style, characteristics of effective leaders, strategies for navigating change, developing a personal brand, and maintaining work/life balance.
During the academic year, participants will complete a 360-degree appraisal of their leadership skills and learn about the history and organizational structure of UT. The group also will meet once a month to practice negotiation and delegation skills, learn about the financial structure of the university, speak with campus administrators, and develop their leadership philosophy, to name a few of the sessions planned for 2014-15.
The 2014-15 UT Knoxville Leadership Program participants are:
- Angela Batey, professor and associate dean for diversity in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Alison Buchan, associate department head of the Department of Microbiology and associate director for graduate studies for the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis
- Jo Ann Cady, associate professor of math education and member of Education, Health, and Human Sciences Leadership Development Institute
- Jeffrey Cathey, associate dean of students in the Office of the Dean of Students
- Chris Cox, associate head of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and director of the Institute for a Secure and Sustainable Environment
- Phillip Daves, associate professor of finance and director of the Global Leadership Scholars Program
- Virginia Kupritz, acting director of the School of Communication Studies
- James Price, director of budgets in the Office of Budget and Finance
- Laura Stansell, assistant director of admissions in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions