UT’s spring break is set for March 17-21. Will you be traveling during this time? Please keep in mind some important information to help you return to campus safely, recharged and ready for the rest of the semester.
Be sure that you:
- Travel with a reputable travel agency. Know what kind of transportation, housing and food and beverages are included in your travel package.
- Tell your friends and relatives where you will be vacationing, when you will depart and when you expect to return.
- Stay aware of your surroundings and remain in groups.
- Don’t carry all of your credit or bank cards in your wallet or purse. Carry the minimum amount of cash that you will need, including a small amount for backup. Traveler’s checks can be a good option when on vacation. If you have extra cash, leave it in your hotel room, hidden from sight.
- Don’t resist if you are robbed — give up any money, jewelry or other valuables and call 911 (or another appropriate emergency number) immediately.
- Don’t let anyone into your hotel room unless you trust them. Your personal and property safety is significantly compromised by allowing strangers or untrusted persons into your room.
- Limit alcohol intake. Decision making skills are compromised under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. The legal drinking age in the US is 21 years. If traveling to a foreign country, check the local legal drinking age and other applicable laws.
Also, take the necessary precautions while traveling to avoid picking up bed bugs.
- Check beds by examining the bed sheets and upper and lower seams of the mattress and box spring, especially along the head of the bed. Check behind the headboard.
- Elevate suitcases off the floor on a luggage stand, table top or other hard surface and bring large plastic trash bags in which to place your luggage.
Bedbug bites leave small white to red welts, and itch intensely. If you are exposed:
- Contain all items suspected of carrying bedbugs in plastic bags until they can be laundered.
- Upon returning home, transfer all washable clothing directly into the washer and/or dryer. Place clothing and bedding in a dryer on a high temperature setting for 30 minutes.
- Collect all plastic bags that contained the suspect laundry into a clean garbage bag and discard.
- Your suitcase can either be treated or discarded.
For those leaving vehicles on campus over spring break, make certain that no valuable property is left in plain view.
Have a great and safe spring break!