For 101 years, UT undergraduate engineering students and faculty have dedicated a day to showing high school students the exciting opportunities available to future engineers.
Called Engineers Day, the event dismisses undergraduate engineering classes for the day to allow undergraduates to interact with prospective engineering students. Last year, 1,200 students from fifty-five high schools from across the region traveled to be inspired by the ever-growing field.
This year’s Engineers Day is Thursday, October 24.
Students will participate in discussions, project demonstrations, and exhibits prepared by engineering student clubs and societies.
The event features exhibits along with high-energy and visually stimulating competitions culminating with a competitive Quiz Bowl session:
- The Balsa Wood Bridge Competition will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon in the Science and Engineering Research Facility (SERF).
- The Egg Drop Competition will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon in the Min H. Kao Building inside the fourth-floor entrance.
- The Food Battery Competition will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon in Dougherty Hall Room 612.
- The Radiation Shielding Competition will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon in Ferris Hall Room 213.
- The new Solar Racer Race Competition will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Ferris Hall Room 510.
- The first round of the Quiz Bowl will be held from 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. The second round will be held from 1:15 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. The final session will be held from 1:45 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. All Quiz Bowl sessions will take place in SERF Room 307.
The keynote speaker will be Cavanaugh Mims, president of Visionary Solutions, a small business and minority business enterprise providing proven solutions for complex issues involving transportation and logistics, program management, reclamation and recycling, industrial, and training services.
For more information about the event, visit the College of Engineering website.
C O N T A C T:
Kim Cowart (865-974-0533, email@example.com)
Whitney Heins (865-974-5460, firstname.lastname@example.org)