UT? There’s an App for That
Search the university libraries, locate buildings, see what’s happening on campus, or find a professor’s email address, all from the palm of your hand.
UT has released its new smartphone app which allows users to do all of these things and more. The app is free to download and is available for iPhones as well as Android and BlackBerry devices.
The iPhone app can be found in the iTunes app store; the Android version is available from the Google Play store; and the BlackBerry version is available in the BlackBerry App World. The app also can be found by searching for “Tennessee” in each of the stores.
The app aims to make students’ lives a little easier, but it has something for everyone, from faculty and staff to Vol fans, and from regular visitors to friends and alumni of the university.
Key functions of the app include:
- Campus directory: find people and call or email them using the in-app info, or add their information to your personal contacts list.
- Libraries: search the catalogs of the UT Libraries, chat with a librarian, and check on computer and study carrel availability.
- Campus calendar: see what events are coming up on campus and add them to your personal calendar.
- Courses: check the university’s course schedule and view information on course instructors and locations.
- News: stay up-to-date on news coming out of the university.
- Map: locate campus buildings using the visual map or by searching for their names or abbreviations.
- Athletics: check schedules, scores, news, and more.
UT’s Office of Communication and Marketing developed the app with the help of the Office of Information Technology and in coordination with Blackboard Mobile, a company that specializes in education-based apps and resources. For more information about Blackboard mobile, visit www.blackboardmobile.com.
The launch of the app is part of an ongoing effort to adapt to the increasing use of mobile devices. In February, the university launched a new mobile-friendly version of its website. The site uses responsive design to resize its primary pages based on the screen size of the device being used for access.
C O N T A C T :
Rebekah Winkler (865-974-8304, email@example.com)