KNOXVILLE—Faculty members at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, bring big ideas to life each day in the classroom and through their research and community service. During next week’s Faculty Appreciation Week, February 13-17, we’ll celebrate faculty and learn about their great work.
Each day, stories and videos about faculty will be featured on the Tennessee Today website, http://tiny.utk.edu/FAW.
Students, alumni, faculty, staff, and others are invited to send a “shout out” to their favorite faculty member and read what others are saying. Find the shout out page at http://tiny.utk.edu/shout.
A variety of special events also have been planned:
Monday, February 13
- Women’s basketball game—The Lady Vols play Kentucky at 7:00 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena. Faculty will be saluted during the game. Faculty and staff can purchase tickets for $7. Visit the UT Ticket Office, call 865-656-1200 or order online at http://tinyurl.com/7dm9waf or at UTTIX.com, using promotional code UTKBB12.
- “Like” stickers—Students can get “like” stickers to give to their instructors. The stickers will be handed out during the morning on the Pedestrian Walkway and on the University Center Plaza.
Tuesday, February 14
- Ready for the World Café—The café begins its ten-week spring run today with Irish cuisine and prize drawings for faculty. The luncheon is from noon to 1:00 p.m. in the UT Visitors Center, 2712 Neyland Drive. Guest chef Garrett Scanlan, noted Irish-born local chef and star of “90 Miles with Chef Garrett,” will oversee the food and menu design for the week. Tickets are $12, and the UT faculty/staff discount applies. For tickets, see Marcia in 110 Jessie Harris Building or call 865-974-6645. For more information about luncheon, see http://tntoday.utk.edu/2012/02/07/rftw-cafe-spring-luncheon-series.
- Distinguished Faculty Reception—The invitation-only reception sponsored by Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek will be held from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. in the rotunda of the Howard H. Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy.
Wednesday, February 15
- Coffee and doughnuts—Grab-and-go stations with free coffee and doughnuts for faculty will be set up from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. at Ayres Hall, the Pedestrian Walkway (the Volunteer Boulevard end) and Morgan Hall. The breakfast is provided by the Thornton Center, Student Success Center, the Center for International Education, and the Office of Multicultural Student Life.
- Men’s basketball game—The Vols play Arkansas at 8:00 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena. Faculty will be saluted during the game. Faculty and staff can purchase tickets for $7. Visit the UT Ticket Office, call 865-656-1200 or order online at http://tinyurl.com/7dm9waf or at UTTIX.com, using promotional code UTKBB12.
Thursday, February 16
- Coffee and doughnuts—Grab-and-go stations with free coffee and doughnuts for faculty will be set up from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. at Ayres Hall, the Pedestrian Walkway (the Volunteer Boulevard end), and Morgan Hall. The breakfast is provided by the Thornton Center, Student Success Center, the Center for International Education, and the Office of Multicultural Student Life.
- Initiating A Better Work/Life Balance—noon to 1:15 p.m., University Center Crest Room. This interactive workshop, sponsored by the Tennessee Teaching and Learning Center, will explore ideas for better time management. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Faculty Pub—The Faculty Pub will be open from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. in the Bridgeview Grill on Neyland Drive, with free parking in the staff lot across the street. The Boling, Brown, and Holloway Jazz Trio (faculty members Mark Boling, Keith Brown, and Rusty Holloway) will be performing and there will be free appetizers, compliments of Aramark, giveaways and special recognition of faculty.
- Showcasing faculty books, research—Books authored by UT faculty will be on display throughout the week in the Dixie Marie Wooten Commons West of Hodges Library (Melrose entrance). The display also will highlight faculty members who have made their scholarship openly available online at the Tennessee Research and Creative Exchange (TRACE) digital archive. Faculty members are invited to learn how to preserve and showcase their published and unpublished work in SelectedWorks at trace.tennessee.edu.
- UT Bookstore Discount—The bookstore will offer a 20 percent discount to faculty and staff with their UT ID. The discount will not include textbooks, special orders, select trade books, and minimal select general merchandise (such as the “We Back Pat” shirts).
- Aramark freebies and discounts—With their UT ID card, faculty can enjoy: free tea with entrée purchase at McAlister’s deli located in the Arena Café; free donut with small coffee purchase at Dunkin Donuts at Volunteer Hall on White Avenue; $5 Friday at the Presidential Court Café and $5 Friday at the Southern Kitchen; free tall coffee at Starbucks with the purchase of a breakfast sandwich or pastry.
C O N T A C T :
Amy Blakely (865-974-5034 or 865-789-1692, firstname.lastname@example.org)