December is the start of the winter season for energy use peak times set by the Tennessee Valley Authority. From now until March, the campus will be paying more for energy used between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
Faculty, staff, and students are asked to adjust daily habits so high-energy-consumption activities take place after 11:00 a.m. Whenever possible, please:
- Take advantage of natural light
- Turn off or reduce your use of heating
- Minimize your use of hot water
- Print or copy large documents in the afternoon
- Power down electronic appliances not in use
- Take the stairs and limit your use of elevators and automatic doors