The University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s nationally recognized New Norris House will be open for public tours on Saturday, November 12.
From 10:00 a.m. to noon, the community may inspect the home, 143 Oak Road, Norris, Tennessee.
For directions, visit http://thenewnorrishouse.com/.
Parking is available near the house and at the Norris United Methodist Church, 62 Ridgeway Road.
The home is the result of a three-year project, led by an interdisciplinary team of faculty and students.
More than sixty students and faculty from UT’s architecture, landscape architecture, interior design and civil engineering, planning, and environmental studies programs planned, designed, built, and furnished what is now among the most energy-efficient homes and landscapes in Tennessee.
The result is a technologically advanced version of the original Norris House, designed by the Tennessee Valley Authority in 1933, as part of the New Deal Norris Dam project.
The house is now home to a couple—a UT faculty member and a UT graduate student—and is a living laboratory that will test energy efficiency and use, natural light, air quality, the effectiveness of a rainwater purification system, and use of the garden to treat grey water. It will also be used for tours and education for the public, professionals, and sustainability organizations, including the Green Building Council.