KNOXVILLE — This is Faculty Appreciation Week, a time to celebrate faculty and their teaching, research and outreach. Their work is a big part of what makes the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, the great university it is.
Today we kick off a series of special stories about faculty on the Tennessee Today website. College deans and administrators suggested faculty members for the “College Kudo” features. The “Thanks, Faculty” features are based on suggestions we received from students, alumni, and other faculty and staff.
Today’s stories focus on Professor Naïma Moustaïd-Moussa and Extension Specialist Annette Wszelaki from Agriculture Extension, Associate Professor David Fox and Senior Lecturer Diane Fox from the College of Architecture and Design, and Professor La Vinia Delois Jennings and Assistant Professor Kate Jones from the College of Arts & Sciences.
A special video also will be featured each day. Three of those videos, including today’s, were made by a video crew who ventured out on campus, stopping students and asking them to talk about faculty members who have meant a lot to them. Two other videos that will be posted this week feature notable alumni — Tony-award winning actor John Cullum and President Barack Obama’s Deputy Chief of Staff Nancy-Anne DeParle — reminiscing about their favorite UT faculty.
You can see all of the Faculty Appreciation Week stories at http://tntoday.utk.edu/tag/faculty-appreciation-week-2011/.
Also this week, visit the Faculty “shout out” page to send your own thank you message to a favorite faculty member or read what others have written: http://www.utk.edu/faculty/appreciation/shout-out/.
Here are the special events planned for Faculty Appreciation Week:
- Distinguished Faculty Reception, 5 to 6:30 p.m., Howard H. Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy. This special event recognizes some of our most accomplished faculty members for their achievements on campus and in professional organizations. This event is by invitation only.
Tuesday, Feb. 15
- Campaign “Thank You” Breakfast, 7:30 to 9 a.m., Carolyn P. Brown University Center Ballroom. The Office of Development is coordinating this breakfast for faculty and staff who donated to the Campaign for Tennessee. This invitation-only event will be hosted by Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek and sponsored by Aramark.
- Night at the Museum, 5 p.m., McClung Museum. Faculty members are invited to enjoy an hors d’oeuvres reception hosted by the Tennessee Teaching and Learning Center and McClung Museum. Participants will experience the map exhibit in a fun way and learn how to use the museum within course pedagogy. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Kelly Ellenburg at 974-3807.
Wednesday, Feb. 16
- Faculty/staff celebration at Vols vs. S.C., 7 p.m. Thompson-Boling Arena. Faculty and staff can get $7 tickets by visiting http://www.uttix.com. Click on “Vols Tix” and then choose “Promotional Code.” Log in with UTEMPLOYEE. Complete the order. There is a $1.25 processing fee.
Thursday, Feb. 17
- Interactive Faculty Luncheon, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Crest Room, University Center. The Tennessee Teaching and Learning Center and the Provost’s office are sponsoring this luncheon, which will feature TLC Director David Schumann discussing “Co-Creation of Value in the Classroom: Building Partnerships that Enhance Student Learning.” Please RSVP to email@example.com.
- Faculty/staff celebration at Lady Vols vs. S.C., 7 p.m. Thompson-Boling Arena. Faculty and staff can get $7 tickets by visiting http://www.uttix.com. Click on “Lady Vols Tix” and then choose “Promotional Code.” Log in with UTEMPLOYEE. Complete the order. There is a $1.25 processing fee.
C O N T A C T :
Amy Blakely, (865-974-5034, firstname.lastname@example.org)