UT Knoxville Renames Two Campus Buildings

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, has renamed two campus buildings that bore similar names, the White Avenue Building and the White Avenue Biology Annex, in order to clear up any confusion about their location and purpose.

The White Avenue Building is now Blount Hall, in honor of “Blount College,” the first name of the college that would later grow to become UT. The White Avenue Biology Annex, one block east, is now Senter Hall, in honor of Tennessee Governor DeWitt Clinton Senter (1869-1871), whose actions preserved the land grant status of UT.

While located on the same street, the two buildings serve very different purposes. Blount Hall houses the UT Knoxville Office of Research, the Sponsored Projects Accounting office and the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS).

Senter Hall is currently closed and will be upgraded to provide space for the ion beam research of Governor’s Chair holder William Weber and wet lab research space for a variety of projects.

For more information, call 974-3061.