Many of our faculty, staff and students are involved in efforts to support Haiti as the nation struggles to recover from the catastrophic earthquake that hit Jan. 12. This page will serve as a clearinghouse for the information we receive about these efforts; however, please be aware that this is secondhand information.
Many of the events listed here are not sponsored by the university, so we cannot ensure their legitimacy. We encourage you to investigate involvement opportunities thoroughly. We will keep this page updated as more local and regional efforts are shared.
- Red Cross club fundraiser, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 20, in the University Center.
- Delta Sigma Theta sorority fundraiser, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Jan. 22, on the Pedestrian Walkway.
- College of Nursing fundraisers throughout February. For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Haiti Outreach Program’s “Fierce and Fancy Formals” fashion show and dress sale. Staffed by UT students with proceeds going to Haiti relief. Saturday, Feb. 27, 2 p.m. at the Emporium Center, 100 S. Gay Street. For more information, call (865) 323-6441.
- Members of the college group from Calvary Baptist Church will be passing around tins in their classes, at work, etc. The tins will say “Relief for Haiti.” Funds raised will be sent to Haiti through the Samaritan’s Purse organization.
- Sacred Heart Cathedral has a longstanding Haitian outreach program. For more information about upcoming fundraising events, visit the organization’s Web site at http://www.givehaitihope.org.
- One Vision International is based in Knoxville and runs an orphanage in Haiti that was badly damaged. They will be sending relief trips beginning Jan. 24 and are collecting medical supplies and financial contributions. More information is available at http://www.onevisionintl.org.
- The UT Muslim Student Association is planning fundraising efforts within the coming weeks. The national Islamic Relief organization is hoping to raise $1 million. More information can be found at http://www.islamic-relief.com.