Free Health Fair for UT Knoxville Community Feb. 18
The UT Knoxville College of Nursing has teamed up with the UT Medical Center to offer “HealthBeat,” a free health fair for UT students, employees, retirees and their families.
The fair, formerly known as the Covenant Health Check, will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. today in the University Center Ballroom.
Several screenings and tests will be provided, and exhibits also will be set up with representatives from various health care organizations and UT departments giving counsel and handing out information.
Participants will be able to obtain information on weight management, diabetes, breast health, organ donor registry and sign-up, HIV/AIDS education, pharmacy services and prescription medicines, student health education and services, drug and alcohol abuse, heart health and stroke risk, primary care, adult immunizations, ER trauma, sickle cell testing and general health. Nutrition information also will be presented by the Healthy Living Kitchen.
In addition to the information and exhibition booths, the following screenings will be provided:
- Oral and dental health screening
- Cholesterol screening (7-11 a.m. only)
- Carotid artery screening
- Skin cancer/age progression screening
- Blood pressure screening
- Bone density screening
- Body Mass Index screening
- CO2/Pulse Ox screening
- Vision screening
- Grip strength screening
- Hearing testing
- Blood typing
- HIV/AIDS testing
Insurance is not required for any of the screenings or tests. Small fees will apply only to those screenings that require lab work:
- $20- Prostate Specific Antigen screening (men only) -This test measures the amount of PSA released into your blood by the prostate gland.
- $20- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) – This test serves as a tool to measure thyroid levels in the body and can help diagnose thyroid disease.
- $20- C-Reactive Protein (CRP) – This test measures inflammation of the heart and can help assess your risk for heart disease.
- $20- Chemistry Profile (fasting required) – This test measures your lipid panel, kidney and liver enzymes.
- $15- Complete Blood Count (CBC) – This test measures your red and white blood cell count.
- $25- Lipid Panel with Glucose (fasting required) – This test uses a finger stick and measures your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, ratio and glucose. Results are available in approximately 10 minutes, and individuals are counseled by a registered nurse.
Fasting for 8-10 hours is required for the lipid panel and the chemistry profile. Water and black coffee are allowed and prescriptions should be taken as prescribed. Diabetics should consult with their physician before fasting.
Cash and checks are accepted. Checks can be made payable to UTMC (University of Tennessee Medical Center). Results will be mailed to the participant within 10 business days.
Representatives from the Knox County Health Department, UT Exercise Science Department, UT Book and Supply Store, UT Student Health Services and UT Police Department will have exhibits. Participants also will be able schedule mammogram appointments for the Mobile Mammography Unit’s visit to the UT Knoxville campus in April.
Other participating organizations include Tennessee Donor Services, the Hope Center and the Office on Aging.
HealthBeat is a great opportunity to participate in important health screenings and receive immediate feedback and additional information, according to Mary Sue Hodges, clinical instructor in the College of Nursing.
“You can receive portions of an annual physical free and labs at significantly reduced rate,” she said.
Parking is available at the University Center parking garage; normal rates apply.