KNOXVILLE — A series of events this week at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, celebrates multiculturalism on campus and in the community.
The first annual “Spring FestiVOL: The International Extravaganza” incorporates new and longtime spring events at UT from Thursday to Sunday.
The event is hosted by the Black Cultural Programming Committee (BCPC) and co-sponsored by the College of Business Administration, International Student Council, International House, Director’s Council Student Organizations, Central Programming Council and the Office of Minority Student Affairs.
Donations will be collected at some of the events for the tornado victims in Jackson, Tenn., and the BCPC scholarship fund.
Here is the event schedule:
Thursday, April 17
• Guitars of Spain performance, 6 p.m., Presidential Courtyard.
Friday, April 18
• International Festival, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., University Center Plaza.
• Friday Night Lights “Lights . . . Flashing!” 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., UT Aquatic Center, a pool party celebrating UT seniors.
Saturday, April 19
• Take Me Out to the Ball Game, The Orange and White Game, 2:30 p.m., Neyland Stadium, football scrimmage.
Sunday, April 20
• Fat Sunday, noon to 3 p.m., World’s Fair Park, Festival Lawn, outdoor activities featuring softball, kickball, volleyball, international dance lessons, African drum and dance lessons.
• Step It Up!, Talent Showcase, 3:30 p.m., World’s Fair Park, Tennessee Amphitheater.
• Sun’Sational Sunday, 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., World’s Fair Park, Tennessee Amphitheater, cookout and barbecue with vendors selling and displaying international items and activities such as horseshoes and potato-sack races.
The events are free and open to the public.
For more information, including disability accommodations, contact the Black Cultural Center at (865) 974-4750 or go to http://web.utk.edu/~bcpc.
Chutney Walton or D.J. Baker, BCPC, (865) 974-6861
Elizabeth Davis, UT media relations, (865) 974-5179, firstname.lastname@example.org