Dr. Marianne Neifert, known nationally as Dr. Mom, will offer common sense advice for a host of contemporary family and lifestyle issues on Thursday, Oct. 23, at the Racquet Club of Memphis, 5111 Sanderlin Road.
The event is sponsored by the University of Tennessee National Alumni Association Women’s Council and the UT Medical Center at Knoxville.
Participants will learn:
* Ways to enhance your own self-esteem in order to nurture your child’s confidence.
* Specific strategies for minimizing sibling rivalry.
* Tips on using routine and family traditions to give your child security and stability.
* Age-appropriate behavior for children.
* General guidelines for effective discipline.
* Practical ways to minimize the negative effects of divorce on children.
The price is $20 per person, which includes dinner, program and program materials. Registration deadline is Wednesday, Oct. 15. For more information, contact the UT Office of Alumni Affairs at (423) 974-3011.
Neifert is Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine. She has authored two popular child-rearing books, “Dr. Mom: A Guide to Baby and Child Care” and “Dr. Mom’s Parenting Guide.” She is a contributing editor for Parenting magazine and a member of the advisory board and a columnist for Baby Talk magazine.
The UTNAA Women’s Council was established in 1970 in an effort to increase participation of women at UT. A volunteer council of 16 alumnae serves as the advisory board for educational seminars conducted throughout the state.