KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The University of Tennessee Pre-Game Showcase lecture series begins its seventh year with the Vol football season opener Saturday against the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.
The series starts two hours before kickoff in 235 University Center (the Shiloh Room) before each home game except the Sept. 21 UT-Florida game, when it will be held in 226 University Center.
* Aug. 31, UNLV — Dr. Michael Lofaro, professor of American studies and director of graduate studies in English, will lecture on his book “Davy Crockett: The Man, The Legend, The Legacy.”
* Sept. 7, UCLA — Dr. Walker O. Smith, an oceanographer and professor in ecology and evolutionary biology at UT-Knoxville, will give a talk entitled “Ice is Nice: Oceanography and the Antarctic.”
* Sept. 21, Florida — Dr. Anne Mayhew, a UT-Knoxville professor of history and economics, will discuss “The Great Depression of the 1930’s: Could it Happen Again?” Mayhew’s talk will be held in 226-227 University Center.
* Oct. 26, Alabama — Dr. Thomas A. Callcott, director of the UT Science Alliance, will give a talk titled “X-Ray Vision: A Centennial Celebration of Salesmen, Scientists and Superman.”
* Nov. 16, Arkansas (Homecoming) — Dr. Claudia Mora, associate professor of geology, will tell how carbon dioxide trapped in rocks could reveal more about past ice ages and future global warming in her talk, “Icehouse Brews and Greenhouse Blues: The Rock Record of CO2.”
* Nov. 23, Kentucky — Dr. James L. Nelson, a UT-Knoxville philosophy professor will speak on “Frail Parents, Robust Obligations: Medicine, Mortality and Family Decision Making.”
Fans may bring food from Smokey’s Palace or the Rafter’s Grill, and beverages will be provided.
Information is available from Dr. Lynn Champion in the College of Arts and Sciences by calling (423) 974-4676.
Contact: Dr. Lynn Champion (423-974-4676)